July is Park and Recreation Month! I was happy to cut the ribbon and celebrate the reopening of the California Nursery Historical Park in Fremont. The 20-acre park tells the story of the California Nursery Company and features historical buildings, majestic arboricultural resources, and displays of carefully preserved artifacts.
Boards & Commissions Workshop
You can have direct impact on policy by serving on boards and commissions! If you missed our Boards & Commissions Workshop about being appointed to and serving on different boards and commissions with Appointments Secretary Cathryn Rivera, you can watch the recording here: https://a25.asmdc.org/videos.
Gun Violence Prevention
A package of gun violence prevention bills that I was proud to support were recently signed into law by the Governor. These include:
- AB 228 - Requires the Department of Justice, beginning January 1, 2024, to conduct inspections of dealers at least every 3 years, except for those located in jurisdictions that have adopted an inspection program.
- AB 2156 - Expands the prohibitions on the manufacture of firearms without a state license.
- AB 2239 - Creates a 10-year prohibition on the possession of firearms for individuals convicted of child abuse or elder abuse.
- SB 906 - Requires local educational agencies to annually provide information to parents about California's child access prevention laws and laws relating to the safe storage of firearms.
- SB 915 - Prohibits the sale of firearms, firearm precursor parts and ammunition on state property.
As summer recess is wrapping up, we're headed back to Sacramento to finish out the Legislative session for the year!
Learn about a few of our bills that are currently in the Senate:
- AB 1981 - Travel Reimbursements for Jury Duty
- Allows jurors to be reimbursed for taking public transit and creates a pilot program to increase juror compensation to promote juror diversity.
- AB 2031 - Protecting Mobile Home Residents
- Protects mobile home residents' rights by ensuring residents can bring a representative (such as an attorney) to a meeting with park management.
- AB 2164 - Increasing ADA Compliance and Disability Access
- Helps ensure that small businesses can receive funds to make accessibility-related improvements so that Californians with disabilities have barrier-free access to businesses and other facilities.
- AB 2382 - Reducing Artificial Light at Night
- In order to reduce light pollution and the harmful effects of Artificial Night at Light (ALAN), the bill limits outdoor night lighting on state buildings to promote safety for people, ecosystems, and other wildlife.
- AB 2949 - Vehicles: toll exemptions
- The bill exempts vehicles registered to US military veterans (including disabled veterans and purple heart recipients) from paying tolls on toll bridges and toll highways in order to provide financial relief to those who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in their service to our nation.
Learn more about all of our bills.
You may be eligible for mortgage relief! The California Mortgage Relief Program provides assistance to qualified homeowners who have fallen behind on their housing payments or property tax payments due to pandemic-related financial hardships. Visit camortgagerelief.org to learn more.
Finally, I hope to see you at a local National Night Out event next week!
Yours in Service,
Assemblymember, 25th District