One of the best ways to learn about your community and state government is through a California State Assembly internship. Assemblymember Marc Berman seeks bright, self-motivated, and energetic individuals for his District Office in Palo Alto.
Interns must reside in the 24th Assembly District. We can accommodate interns with flexible schedules. Our office will work with applicants who request to receive undergraduate or graduate credit. Internship terms will be determined based on availability and needs of the District Office.
- Engage with constituents via telephone or in-person
- Research and respond to constituent requests and inquiries
- Assist with constituent casework
- Assist with data entry
- Work with staff with special projects and assignments
- Attend events
- Perform outreach to community leaders, constituents, and interest groups
- Assist in research and planning of upcoming events
- Other miscellaneous tasks, as needed
Candidates with a strong interest in public policy, community organizing, writing, political science, economics, communications, public relations or a similar area of study are preferred. Applicants with these interests will find a California State Assembly internship a rewarding and fulfilling experience. Interns must reside in Assemblymember Berman’s district.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Critical thinking and creative problem solving
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and competing deadlines simultaneously
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Fluency in second language is beneficial
To apply for the internship program please send a cover letter and résumé to Assemblymember.Berman@assembly.ca.gov with the subject line “Internship Application” and your last name. Please indicate in your cover letter whether you are applying for the school year internship (afterschool) or the summer internship (full-day). The window to apply for the summer internship program is February 1 - April 10th. We accept school year internships on a rolling basis.
Questions? Call the District Office at (650) 324-0224.